If you’re planning a trek in the Himalayas, you need to invest in a good pair of trekking shoes. We always get queries from our clients regarding the best shoes to choose from a wide range of choices available. With so many options in the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best trekking shoes for the Himalayan trek, including Quechua, Columbia, Salmon, and Forclaz.
Why you should wear trekking shoes:
- First and foremost it is essential to wear the right kind of shoes on the trek to avoid blisters and chafing.
- A good trekking shoe will provide you with good support on rough and rocky surfaces.
- Terrains are harsh and uneven on the mountains. A trekking shoe will protect you from getting a shoe bite. Sometimes we have to cross a river or a stream then there are high chances of getting our feet wet. A water-resistant trekking shoe will protect the feet from mud and water streams.
Things to consider while buying trekking shoes:
- Solid Grip and excellent cushioning
- Good ankle support
- Water resistance.
Things to keep in mind before buying a shoe.
- Do not buy expensive trekking shoes unless you are planning to go on treks at regular intervals. For beginners, shoes within the range of INR 2000 – 3000 will suffice the purpose. You can easily find them at Decathlon stores or any good sports shop. For seasoned trekkers, you can invest more than INR 3000.
- It is advised to buy shoes which are a bit larger than your usual size. Try walking around and see if it is comfortable for you.
- To avoid shoe bites, you should break into your new shoes for this purpose two weeks before your excursion; go for easy trolls(don’t run), and let the shoes mould to the shape of your feet.
Best Brands for trekking shoes:
Quechua is a brand that offers affordable yet high-quality trekking shoes. Their shoes are great for beginners who are looking to invest in a good pair of shoes for their first trek. Quechua shoes are lightweight, waterproof, and grip slippery terrains well. They also provide good ankle support, essential for long hikes in the Himalayas.
For beginners, NH 100 from Quechua is a good trekking shoe but it doesn’t have ankle support. For western Ghats treks and easy treks in the Himalayas, this is a perfect choice.
For regular trekkers, Men’s Hiking boots – NH100 Mid, Women’s waterproof Hiking boots – MH100 and Men’s Hiking Shoes (Waterproof) MH100 are good shoes to consider.
Columbia’s trekking shoes are known for their durability and comfort. They offer excellent support for your feet, making them perfect for long treks in the Himalayas. Columbia shoes have a waterproof membrane that keeps your feet dry, and their Techlite midsole provides superior cushioning and support. They also have a good grip on rocky terrains, making them an excellent choice for Himalayan treks.
Salmon is a brand that is known for its high-quality trekking shoes. Their shoes are lightweight, breathable, and offer excellent support for your feet. Salmon shoes have a Gore-Tex membrane that keeps your feet dry in wet conditions, and their Contagrip sole provides superior traction on any surface. They are also designed to prevent blisters, which is crucial for long treks in the Himalayas.
Forclaz is a brand that offers high-quality trekking shoes that are perfect for Himalayan treks. Their shoes are waterproof, breathable, and grip any terrain well. Forclaz shoes also provide excellent ankle support, essential for long treks in the Himalayas. They are durable and lightweight, making them a great choice for trekkers who want to invest in a good quality pair of shoes. You can consider Forclaz 500 for your Himalayan trek.
Choosing the right trekking shoes is essential for any Himalayan trek. We hope this article has helped you choose the right pair of shoes for your next trek. Remember to invest in a good pair of shoes, as they will make a significant difference in your trekking experience.
Must read – How to get fit for the Himalayan trek.